Saturday, December 13, 2014

Picking up the pieces

By now it's clear that a lot of my blog posts are about things that go on in my head. Many of these ideas came to me during thru-hikes where I have lots of time to think.

And that's no accident. I was drawn to thru-hiking because it gave me time to think. Many people want me to write a book about my big hikes. But they'd probably be disappointed. They want to read about my "great adventure," but what I experienced first and foremost was what when on in my head.

I was really messed up when I first started thru-hiking. A 10-year relationship ended and I thought that I had failed. To maintain a positive self-image all those years, I'd told myself a lot of lies. I was so emotionally constipated that I honestly didn't know how I felt. I couldn't trust anything I'd decided in the last 10 years because so much had been her idea, including me becoming a Christian. I also wasn't sure about my career choice as a silicon valley engineer. I was burned out. Backpacking was a childhood interest that I could trust as my own, so I took a leave of absence and thru-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail.

It was a good thing that my dad came along on that thru-hike. His presence helped distract me from the potential avalanche of raw feelings that would have overwhelmed me. And I really enjoyed getting to know him as a person.

For a long time, thoughts and memories danced randomly through my brain. But which were mine?
Like Descartes, who based his pyramid of thought on "I think, therefore I am," I started with a quote from the Bible. "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32

It surprised me that I started with the Bible, because as I said earlier, becoming a Christian was my girlfriend's idea, and thus on the list of the most questionable aspects of who I really am. But it made logical sense that sorting out the truth might be a good place to start.

I was not ready to handle truth, so I started with lies. I knew that I had lied to my girlfriend, telling her things I thought would make her happy. "Sure honey, I'd love to do that." But when it later became clear that I didn't, she was hurt. That led to guilt. Guilt led to more lies and more hurt. Unwinding that loop of lies allowed me to realize that I wanted that relationship to end! I was not a failure; I was free!

8 comments:

Andrea in ABQ said...

Another hiker and blogger has dug into the psychology aspects as well, and written a book about it: http://zrdavis.com/category/psychology/ I do believe that the mental work that is done on a hike IS something folks want to read about; it is just not exactly the same group of folks that want to read adventure stories.

Cheers, be well, and hope to chat with you soon, Brian.

Andrea . . . of Hardrock days and that teeny tiny Stony Pass section with you in 2001.

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com

Dr Ogudugu Solution Temple said...

I guess it is no longer a news that Dr.Ogudugu is the best spell caster, Winfield is my name and i have read good reviews about Dr.Ogudugu before i contacted him through these details via phone number +2348063739701 or via greatogudugu@gmail.com which i took from the Internet. I was so shocked when Dr.Ogudugu told me that once he cast the spell that my lover is going to come back within 48 hours and i was wondering how that could be possible but i must say i became the most happiest person on earth when my lover came back to me and since then i have been a huge fan of DR.OGUDUGU

Anonymous said...

Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

Elena Ignat Sandra Pearson said...

This is the website I read about DR ISIKOLO and contacted him to help me get my ex boyfriend back to marry me during the month of May this year and I have come back here to post about him. Doctor Isikolo will help you solve your problem no matter what you are going through. My name is Anna Oscar. Posting about a spell caster is very strange to me because I never believed i will be able to say that I was helped by a spell caster in bringing my ex boyfriend back to me even when he left me due to infidelity and constant abuse and we fought severally and after 6 months of no contact. I read about Doctor Paul from other websites and contacted him to help me and in less than 48 hours my ex boyfriend called me and I was happy that he wants to get back to me. We met same month and he proposed to me. It was the most beautiful ring. Please everyone out here, Contact DR ISIKOLO to solve your problem for you and make you happy with your relationship that is hurting you. Love is the best feeling ever experienced. Email him at: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com You can also WhatsApp him on +1(725)240-4536

Unknown said...

I am so happy to share this fantastic testimony of mine. My name is Enora Lucas I have my boyfriend back in my life with the help of Dr Isikolo. He said sorry 48 hours after the spell was created. He said he realised that he never really wanted to break up he could not handle emotional baggage I was carrying around all the time. He said that he thought he was the negative influence on my life and thought it best to leave. He said it was hard that I kept talking about the past all the time. We have both forgiven each other. I have money in my pocket that is my own at last. (My compensation cheque came through I was told it was months away. I am living proof of what Dr Isikolo can do. I thank you so much Dr Isikolo for the wonderful thing you did in my relationship. I am so happy now. With your help we were both able to see and speak the truth to each other. I never thought a spell could help a couple before I am very pleased contacted you and initiated all this to happen. Anyone who have a relationship problem can contact Dr Isikolo via email isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com You can also WhatsApp him on +1(725)240-4536

Tamara Barrow said...

I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMERS said...

Very interesting article. Many articles I come across these days do not really provide anything that attracts others like yours, but believe me the way you interact is literally awesome I do respect that so much. I will instantly grab your RSS feed to stay informed of any updates you make and as well take the advantage to share the latest information about

UNDETECTED FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE FOR FOREIGN PASSPORTS which many are not yet informed of the new and easiest way to get dual citizenship through this birth certificate in any country and their advantages over the normal way. I will also take the advantage to ask for your permission to join our 179.3k members TELEGRAM GROUP
to share with us your ideas or any latest update on your blog.
Thanks, I am Scott from Globex, we are expecting you on our platform
Thank so much for the great job. You can Call me Scott